Office of
Research Services

The University Start-Up

The university has an express license for university researcher start-ups.

Please review the following site for more information:

If a researcher is unable to qualify for the express license they may still negotiate with the university for license of the technology rights.   If faculty are pursuing Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) or STTR funding they should first have a license or and option agreement for the technology.  Contact UMKC’s Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) to discuss as each agreement is unique. 

OTC can provide a term sheet as well as a license template upon request.

Researchers will need to consider the implications of running a business.  Classes and instruction are offered through the UMKC Center for Innovation, including information on running a technology business, SBIR/STTR applications and other sources of business funding.  For more information, please see:

A conflict of interest will need to be addressed.  More information can be found here:

Researchers should be aware that university space and resources may not be used for an outside or business function without a proper agreement for use of facilities, space and equipment.  Please contact OTC for further discussion.